If you can’t have a long-term pet, fostering is the best option. You will save a life, prepare this cat for a new home and have some lovely memories.
Why are foster homes needed?
There are many reasons a cat might need foster care.
- Most of the rescue organizations in Darwin don’t have a physical shelter. So they depend on foster homes to care for cats until forever homes are found.
- Lots of kitten are too young to be adopted and they need a safe place to stay until he or she is old enough.
- Some cats have not lived in a home before or did not had much contact with people. They need to be socialized.
- Recovering from surgery, illness or injury are also reasons why foster carers are needed.
Why should you become a foster carer?
- It’s a great way to learn about your own needs as a pet owner before you make a commitment.
- You are helping the cat to be socialized and therefore easier to adopt.
- You are helping the rescue organization learn more about the cat so it can end up in the best home possible.
Do you already have a cat? No problem..
If you do have your own cat, please prepare your cat for the arrival of your foster cat. Take a small piece of cloth or a towel, rub it on your cats head and put it into the rescue cat’s transport cage and do the same the other way around. So both cats can smell each other first.